THE Townfoot sports centre working group is currently reviewing three potential layout designs to upgrade and reopen the building.
It was closed by Edinburgh Woollen Mill in February last year and the Langholm Initiative, working with owner Ashleybank Investments, took on the task of repurposing it for the community.
The group continues to make progress, helped by design consultants Robert Potter & Partners.
The designs are based on the data and information gathered from the community in a survey questionnaire last year.
Campbell Scott, who chairs the group for the Langholm Initiative, said: “With the help of our design consultants, we’ll work out how much each of these designs will cost and use this information when we create a business plan for the sports centre.
“The current owner of the plot of land where the sport centre sits is Ashleybank Investments Limited (ABI)
“We’re in discussion with ABI about the terms of a long-term lease of the site and have been advised that the Holmfoot plot, the area to the south of the site, is not available to be part of the redevelopment.
“This should not have any impact on the development of this project.”
He added: “The Langholm Initiative is leading the development phase of the project and provides oversight and governance to the working group.
“After the development phase, we plan to establish a new organisation, a community-led charitable entity which would take over management of the project.
“We’re unable to do this at the moment because of the pandemic restrictions so the Initiative’s board has agreed to continue its support and governance services until at least the end of September, for which the working group is grateful.
“During May and early June we’ll finalise the design layout options and the design consultant will work on draft reports.
“We hope to complete most of the study by the end of May but there could be delays because of the restrictions.
“Our next step is to discuss the outcome of the study with the wider community and we’re looking at ways we can do that if we’re still in any form of lockdown.”