Eskdale and Liddesdale Advertiser Privacy and Cookies Policy
Eskdale & Liddesdale Advertiser is published by Muckle Toon Media CIC a community owned social enterprise.
We are the data controller of any personal information we will collect from you and under the General Data Protection Regulation and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulation, this Privacy and Cookies Policy is designed to provide you with all the information you have a right to be provided with.
Why are we collecting your personal information?
We collect and use your personal information for the following purposes:
- to provide a website which provides you with a high level of functionality and information which you are looking for and to enable you to upload events information
- subscriptions to our newspaper for which we need to process payment information.
- to enable you to contact us.
For more information about cookies, please see our Cookies Policy.
What allows us to collect your personal information?
Fulfilling a Contract
We process your personal information in order to fulfil a contract we have with you. For example, we would use your information to provide you with access to the information available through our website and to provide you with a subscription service..
With your Consent
There may be some uses of your information where we will ask you for your consent. You will have the right to provide consent or not and if you do provide your consent, you will have the right to withdraw it at any time. However, if you refuse consent or withdraw it, we may not be able to provide you with information or services we offer.
For a Legitimate Interest
We may use your information where there is a legitimate reason to do so. For example, we may use your information where it would help achieve our business objectives or to facilitate a benefit to you or someone else. We only rely on Legitimate Interests if the reason for using your personal information is fair and lawful.
Where we want to rely on Legitimate Interests as a lawful basis, we will carry out a balancing test between the Legitimate Interest and your privacy. Our Legitimate Interests in processing personal information include:
- To develop, deliver and maintain relevant and engaging information, services and products.
- Understanding what our website visitors like about our website and what pages they visit the most
- To build a clear understanding of who are audiences are in order to better serve them.
- To assess what individuals think about our ability to provide the services we aspire to provide.
What personal information will we collect?
We will collect and use the following personal information in relation to the purposes detailed previously:
- Contact details
- Payment details, although our website does not receive or store your bank account details as we process payments through Paypal. Please review their privacy notice for more information on how they process your bank account details.
- Interactions you have with us.
What will we do with your personal information?
Your information will be viewed by staff of Eskdale and Liddesdale Advertiser only in relation to the purposes and Legitimate Interests as stated previously. Your information will be stored by our data processor Creatomatic however, they will only process the information based on our instructions. Your information may be shared with third parties when you visit them through our website or when we are authorised or required to by law.
How long will we keep your personal information?
Your personal information is stored for period of 1 year and subsequently securely destroyed.
Your personal information is stored for the following periods relating to the purposes for which it is gathered:
- Inactive subscriptions: 1 year
- Details that you have paid for a subscription : 5 years
- posts: 1 year
Your rights are:
- To be informed
- To access your personal information
- To have inaccurate personal information rectified
- To have personal information erased
- To restrict processing of your personal information
- To obtain and reuse your personal information for your own purpose
- To object to the processing of your personal information
- To not be subject to decisions based solely on automated means, including profiling
Should you be unhappy with the way Eskdale and Liddesdale Advertiser has handled your personal information, we encourage you to let us know so that we can look into this for you and provide a response.
Should you then wish to lodge a complaint with ICO you can contact them at:
Address: Information Commissioner’s Officer, Wycliffe House,
Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF
Telephone: 0303 123 1113
What are Cookies?
Cookies are small pieces of text sent from a website and stored on a user’s device by the user’s browser. You are therefore able to control cookies through your web browser as well as through individual websites. More information about this can be found on websites such as aboutcookies.org and allaboutcookies.org. A cookie file is stored in your web browser and allows our website or in some cases a third party’s to recognise you and make your visit and sometimes following visits easier and the service more useful to you.
What type of cookies are there?
There are ‘persistent’ cookies which remember you even after you close your browser for the next time you visit or ‘session’ cookies which only apply when you are on our website at any given time.
They can also be broken down into ‘necessary’, ‘social media’, ‘advertising, ‘functional’ and ‘analytical’ cookies.
What types of cookies do we use?
We mainly use session cookies however, whilst some are essential and applied as standard due to being necessary for the functioning of the website, for the analytics, we require your consent. We ask for your consent through our cookie pop-up.
We use Google Analytics for the purpose of allowing us to identify how visitors use our website and the pages most visited to ensure we provide the information you like to see.
In addition to our own cookies, we may also support third party cookies to report usage statistics of the service. We are not responsible for these cookies and we advise you to review their privacy and cookies policies should you decide to click on their links.
Last update: March 2020