IN 1958 Dr Laing, the Canonbie GP, and his wife, Joy, built the tennis courts in the village.
They formed a club and the residents enjoyed playing on the courts for many years.
The courts fell out of use but have recently been refurbished and a new club formed.
Last Sunday the new tennis club was delighted to receive a visit from Joy and her son, John, to see the results of the refurbishment, which has been supported by Magnox, the Holywood Trust, the Safe and Healthy Action Partnership and the Minsca windfarm community benefit fund.
They were both very pleased with the results and enjoyed watching the coaching sessions.
John lives in Edinburgh and still plays tennis three times a week.
He was impressed with the number of enthusiastic young people taking part in the coaching sessions and recalled how much he had enjoyed playing on the Canonbie courts in his youth.