Continue We want you to get the most out of using this website, which is why we and our partners use cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to receive these cookies. You can find out more about how we use cookies here.

Saturday, 23 May 2015

Teamwork helps Colts record first win of the season

LANGHOLM Colts recorded their first win this season last Sunday but it was well deserved after improving week by week and playing as a team who believe in their own ability.

Berwick Colts 15 Langholm Colts 24

The match was played as a double-headed fixture for the Borders semi-junior league points and the first round of the Borders semi-junior cup competition. So the win also secured a home cup quarter-final against Peebles.

Berwick kicked off and took play into the Langholm half but the visitors repelled the early pressure and cleared back to the half-way.

Langholm enjoyed most of the territory and possession and kept the hosts penned in their own half for long periods.

Prop Ryan Hetherington, making his debut, carried the ball hard into the defence and the forwards pounded the home line. The ball was kept alive and reached the far touchline and Ross Rae broke blind round a ruck to open the scoring. The conversion fell just short.

Langholm looked to have stretched their lead when Max Thorburn made an excellent run down the wing and offloaded to Gregor Masterton who went in at the corner but the referee ruled the ball was knocked on over the line.

On only their second visit into the Langholm 22 Berwick secured a try to level the score.

Langholm regained the lead when the home side failed to deal with the restart and the forwards regained the ball. Nathan Smith sent a long pass to Fergus Campbell who went on a scintillating run, carving through defenders down the wing before rounding the fullback to go in under the posts. Dayne Massey converted.

In the second half Dominic Little deserved credit for leading the defence and he put his body on the line, especially at the lineout to stop mauls from gaining momentum.

The home side claimed a second unconverted try when they crossed the line from close range after finding a chink in the defence.

Langholm immediately mounted a strong attack. More swift recycling of ruck ball was moved to the backs and, as Smith fed Masterton, Matthew Pool came through the space at pace, latched onto the pass on the halfway line and sprinted 50 metres for a try. Massey converted.

The home side added a third unconverted try, while Langholm’s Kieran Warwick raced away over 20 metres to touch down and seal the win. The conversion fell short.

Team: D Massey, F Campbell, M Pool, G Masterton, M Thorburn, N Smith, M Kitching. R Hetherington, R Rae, C Bell, D Little, B Turner, M Crombie, S Murray, K Warwick.

Replacements: C Seed.


Hot jobs