Woman fined after pet cat starved to death
Published at 15:10, Thursday, 24 January 2013
A 31-YEAR-OLD woman has been banned by a Sheriff from keeping animals for five years after hearing that her pet cat had been found so emaciated that it died on the way to a vet.
The female tortoiseshell cat was found unable to stand on a road in Langholm by a member of staff who took it to her school and called in SSPCA officials.
In the court at Dumfries Claire Reid admitted failing to take reasonable steps to ensure the needs of the cat at her home at the time in Meikleholmside between April and June last year.
She admitted failing to provide adequate treatment, including pain relief and allowing it to become emaciated and die.
Solicitor Liz Dougan said Reid, now living in McCormack Gardens in Stranraer, had had the pet for eight years and it was in the habit of disappearing for two or three days at a time.
In April last year she thought it had swallowed hair balls and bought a remedy at a supermarket and also changed its diet. But it continued to lose weight. She realised now that she should have called in a vet.
She also had personal problems at the time.
Reid was also fined £200 in addition to the ban.
Published by http://www.eladvertiser.co.uk