Club told of plans for former police station
THE members of Langholm Rotary Club welcomed the familiar face of Ian Macgregor.
Ian had visited the club last year to give a talk on the Buccleuch Park development project.
This time the hat he was wearing was that of a member of Eskdale Foundation which is in charge of the redevelopment of the former police station which was the subject of his talk.
Ian mentioned the history of the building which was built in 1900 and closed in 2010.
There were some very usable rooms on the ground floor and two flats on the upper floors – a three-bedroom and a one-bedroom. The cells were still there.
The foundation’s plans were to provide to the community reasonably-priced accommodation in the form of both office space for businesses and living accommodation for local people.
There would at some point be an asset transfer for the property from Dumfries and Galloway Council, which owned the building, and Ian was in the process of investigating what grants would be available for the refurbishment.
The committee were progressing slowly with their plans but were hopeful of bringing what was a useful and well-positioned building back into use.